1 1/4 cup sifted flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cocoa powder -
1 tbsp red colouring -
1/4 cup soft unsalted butter -
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup buttermilk - I used 1/2 cup whole milk plus 1/2 tbsp vinegar/lemon
1/2 tsp vinegar -
1/2 tsp baking soda
Cream cheese frosting
125g cream cheese
50g unsalted butter
110g powdered sugar -
1 cup fresh cream, whipped until stiff - i used double cream
1. Preheat oven to 175 degrees Celsius.
2. In one container, sieve flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a small container, combine cocoa powder and red coloring and stir well until form a paste (I added a little water).
3. Using a stand mixer, beat butter with sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg, beat until blended. Add the vanilla extract and cocoa powder mixture, beat until well blended.
4. Add in sifted flour and buttermilk alternately. Beginning and ending with flour. (F-M-F-M-F)
5. In a small bowl, combine vinegar and baking soda and add it to your batter. Stir well with a spatula. Pour into a 6" baking pan and bake it for 50mins or until cooked.
6. Let cool on wire rack.
7. Once cool, slice cake into two and spread cream cheese filling.. top it with the rest of your cream cheese too... chill for a few hrs..
Cream Cheese frosting:
1. Beat cream cheese with butter until soft.
2. Turn mixer to low speed, add powdered sugar a little at a time. Whisk until well blended.